Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Acting! Thank you!


My new title should be “worldly consultant” because I think I can do a lot of jobs better than the professionals that have spent months/years/decades devoted to that line of work, and I’m willing to give my advice freely. For instance, I know better than my doctor and just about any person I deal with over the phone, apart from the people from Apple Support.

Most recently, move over James Lipton as I am a master of the theatrical arts. This stems from a seemingly endless stream of some of my acting pet peeves, specifically what I refer to as “gum/sleeve/over-sized coffee cup acting”.  It’s pretty self-explanatory, but this occurs when an actor or actress over-relies on some external object to convey their feelings.  See: Jennifer Love Hewitt and her sleeves in Party of Five. If you’re constantly tugging on your sleeves I miss whatever seriously passionate/urgent thing you’re saying and, instead, I’m thinking:

“Why do her sleeves cover half of her hands?”
“Can’t she find a shirt that fits, or is she trying that on purpose?”
“I hope they have a good spray pre-wash treatment on set because those sleeves are going to get soooo dirty.”

Related is “gum acting” which has surfaced most recently when I was watching “Prime Suspect”. Maria Bello and that other guy spend so much time violently chewing their gum that I forget major plot points. But by far the most egregious acting failure is “over-sized coffee cup acting”.  You know, you’re watching a scene and the character is just caressing a ginormous coffee cup and delicately sipping in between musings. It looks so stupid and no one sips like that! Drink like a real person! Swallow!

Related to this is the obviously-empty cup. Prop masters and directors alike should know that the audience can tell that the cup is too light to have any liquid in it. You don’t have to get all Daniel Day-Lewis method-act-y, but you could at least put something in the cup... water! Tea! Cheap Scotch!  Anything! I so need to be cast in a film so I can show the world the level of realism that I know can be attained. Anyway...my schedule is pretty open, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment